GSSD Minimum Requirements - Ready Searcher
Personnel in this category are called to
most searches (with or without dog) and are capable of individual
field work in most search situations. Ready Searchers are required
- Have all of the requirements specified under Support. (118-04-120
- Demonstrate consistent proficiency with rural and wilderness
navigation. (118-04-120 3a, 3c)
- Have successfully completed helicopter operations basic and
intermediate courses. (118-04-120 3e, 3f)
- Possess knowledge of "crime scenes" as described
in WAC 118-04-120 3g and be familiar with specific GSSD crime
scene procedures. (118-04-120 3g)
- Possess knowledge and demonstrate proficiency in survival
techniques including bivouacking. (118-04-120 3b)
- Possess basic knowledge of Search and Rescue Techniques and
theory including the roles of other search organizations and search
management. (118-04-120 3f)
- Possess knowledge of scent theory and be proficient in interpreting
environmental conditions that affect scent.
- Possess knowledge/exposure of canine first aid.
- The team must show consistent ability to successfully complete
day and night assignments. These assignments shall include a variety
of terrain, weather and ground cover conditions. The assignments
shall be of varying duration.
- The dog shall be:
- responsive to handler's direction.(On leash in base camp
and other situations where leash control is necessary for safety
and public comfort)
- able to be controlled by other GSSD dog handlers.
- able to be transported in a confined space with other dogs.
- in fit physical condition to carry out the search assignment.
- of sound and stable temperament and have demonstrated consistent
appropriate and socially acceptable canine behavior in a variety
of situations with other people and dogs. Undue aggression is
These requirements meet and/or exceed 118-04-120 3a-h WAC
for "field-qualified personnel".
Forward to Ready Searcher Avalanche Requirements
Back to Minimum Requirements top level
Back to GSSD Info
This page last updated: 97AUG18
Copyright, German Shepherd Search Dogs of Washington State, 1997-1999
Seattle, WA, USA
Email -- email@example.com